Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books/lessons for excavating/sitework 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanukExcavating

Civil/Environmental
Jan 11, 2010
US
Hello forum,

I have been doing small residential excavating/site work for the past 5 years. I am looking to expand my business into small commercial and more 'complex' projects. Most of our work is site work for new homes, additions, septic systems, grading, ponds, topsoil, hydro seed/sod, etc. I have had several opportunities to bid site work for small stores, a large church, and a few similar projects. However, the blueprints look very complicated (compared to a 5000 sq/ft house) and I do not have any experience with commercial work. Aside from doing the actual work, I also have no idea how to price commercial projects, so I would need help in this area as well.

I am sure it looks more intimidating than it really is but I still would like some input from you guys regarding where I could start. I am looking for recommendations for some books, online classes, etc. I have a bachelors in computer science & in business administration so I am not scared of reading and cramming information. I also looked into the option of a training school in Florida but aside from taking a month off to go there for school and $10k cost, I am afraid that it may just teach me beginner stuff I already know.

ANY information/input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Yuri Y.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have a look at 'RS Means: Heavy Construction Cost Data' or Saylor Construction costs. They give a ballpark estimate of cost for numerous construction activities including mass excavation based on the equipment used. I'm not sure how accurate they really are, but it might help.

The above books are useful but ultimately you need to have an understanding of the work to be performed and how you would approach this work. Once you know how you will perform the work, go through and estimate the process. Equipment and labour rates are readily available, so the remaining is your approach and associated production.

My recommendation would be to do some background research and then begin pulling contract documents for publicly tendered projects. Perform a take-off, an estimate with applicable markup and see how your number ranks to those tenders submitted and opened.

Books will give you a general estimate but, in my experience, are not entirely accurate. Although the company I work for is in a specialized field, our unit rates for equipment and production are primarily based on past performance with a bi-annual review to ensure we are within the market range.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies so far!

ishvaaag, I just ordered the book this morning from Barnes & Noble; I have come across it before but was reluctant to pay $150+ without doing some research on it. Glad you recommended it.

dicksewerrat, I have very much so considered taking a survey class at a local 2 yr college, which is not very expensive at all.

Have any of you guys heard good/bad about these 'vocational' heavy equipment schools? The one I found to be of most interest is The course outline suggests that students will learn advanced techniques such as surveying, GPS/laser control, estimating, sewer, water, etc. I understand there will probably be a week or two of basic 'how to properly start a bulldozer' but at this point I do not have much of a choice in regards to actual live help/support.

I suggest hiring an estimator with experience. It will cost more but you will learn faster and have some security that the bids you are submitting will likely be competetive. You don't want to submit a bid that is way off to a GC and have a bad first impression. As you know, times are hard in construction and you have to bid with confidence so when you get that call back requesting a little VE, you will be prepared.Surround yourself with competent people and you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back