Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books on Drying

Status
Not open for further replies.

freefallingbody

Electrical
Aug 18, 2003
IN
Hi,

Please guide me on this. I am looking for some books and best practices manuals in the field of Industrial drying. The pupose is to summarise the heat balance/ efficiency evaluation methods.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good afternoon ffb:

I know of no good books on the subject of industrial drying. However, good primer articles appear in two (2) publications. First, check any good library for a copy of the 2003 volume of ASHRAE HVAC Applications. Chapter 28, "Industrial Drying Systems", gives a general overview of the subject, applications, and some selection methodology. (This book can also be purchased directly from ASHRAE for apprx. $120) Second, a technical library might have a copy of Fan Engineering by Robert Jorgensen. Chapter 26, "Drying and Related Processes", gives a some theory and property data on materials. This book may be still be available either new or used through Amazon.com. I hope this helps you some. Good luck.

Freefallingbody,

If your looking to summarize your efficiency, a rule of thumb for convection industrial dryers is your Energy Consumption/Evaporation Rate should be 1300 Btu/lb of H2O (Very Good), 2500 Btu/lb H2O (Very Poor).

Without extensive information about your process, I can't help you out anymore.

Dracula

The best book is---
Industrial Dryers by K. Master
Another good book is---
Industrial Drying by Muzumdar
As a thumb rule , energy required for convective drying is 705 kCal/ kg of water evaporation

I use a book called Drying of Solids in the Chemical Industry, by Nonhebel & Moss published by Butterworths. To me, it is not very good in that it chokes at the hard stuff. Presents basic theory and test results but does not connect the two very well.
Dont buy it.

Cheers

Steve McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back