Books on Waste management 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asanga

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2002
CH
Hey Guys,
I have a mechanical/aerospace background and currently work as a contract designer. Bouncing from place to place is not something I would like to do for the rest of my life, and I would eventually like to start something of my own. A field that has caught my interest is waste mangement and I would like to find out more about the field. If someone can recommend any books that I could read to get more familiar with it, I would really appreicate it. I guess I am looking for something close to a first year text book on waste management which is not too highly technical or specific and the same time someone with an engineering background can understand.But if there are any other suggestions as to what might be useful, that would be very much appreciated also.
Thank you,
Asanga

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry people, I did not mean to sound lazy, I did look through this forum to see if there were already threads on books, but could not find any.I did see a lot of books on Amazon.com by doing a search but I wanted to make sure I am buying something useful before paying for it. I am currently in Germany and it is very hard to find technical books in English at the bookstores. So it will be a great help if someone can recommend anything. Even an internet site with downloadable literature would be great.
Thanks again for any help
Asanga

What aspect of waste management are you interested in?
Municipal solid waste?
Hazardous waste?
Animal Feedlot waste?
Wastewater treatment?
Waste reduction?

Thank you for the book recommendation Bandraoi.I will try to get a copy of it soon. Yeah amazon uk seems to be the best bet for me.
Hotgas, I am mainly interested in Municipal solid waste. Other than a basic knowledge of the field, I am also interested in looking at it from a design engineering perspective.
Thank you very much for your response guys.
Cheers,
Asanga

Asanga, I know where you're at right now! I did an internship in germany and had to write a report at the end about our work, in german... it wasn't easy and finding books on any matter that were understandable or even useful wasn't easy either.

If there is one name I remember from my senior project when doing research, it would be Tchobanoglous.

For the price and for value, there is one book that would really be the best buy for you: I would recommend the [bold]Handbook of Solid Waste Management[/bold] by George Tchobanoglous and Frank Keith, ISBN# 0071356231, it goes into good detail on many aspects and yet is technical enough to be more than just a guide, if you're an engineer you should have no trouble with it.

Thank you Dalacazar, I decided to go with your suggestion and ordered the book through Amazon uk. Took a while for the delivery, which is why this response is late.It looks like the book fits my requirement. Now if I can fit it in my carry-on luggage and not be over the weight limit, that will be my reading matter on the long flight home! Thanks all of you guys for taking the time to reply, Happy holidays!
Cheers,
Asanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back