Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boolean operation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

par1

Automotive
Oct 11, 2004
US
I'm trying to assemble two different bodies & getting follwing message:

"You are trying to create boolean operation which breaks relation order between geometrical elements. Operand body will not be moved under the boolean feature, Do you want to continue?"

What action should I take?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stargazer81- I came from UG and it is very linear in its data, same as Pro/E. I didn't like V5 at first but now that I am creating loads of data and also editing the data that is not cumbersome due to a linear requirement, my speed has increased.

Sure there are differances but that is what makes it interesting. Amazing how many threads end up to the hybrid/no hybrid debate.

solid7 said:
You are what I like to call "tainted".

Yes! I know I am and that's why had to admit it. And I have read some of your posts in another thread so I know that you are QUITE familiar with this. I was talking about the "experts" in my company. (We doesn't have a standard to follow yet.)

I do have my opinion, but I may change this if someone convinces me that "your" way is better.

solid7 said:
I can arrange all of my sketches in a "sketches" geometrical set

This is very interresting.. I want to have all my sketches ordered directly under each feature. Why do you need them in an geo-set? Doesn't this mean that you have to set the geo-set as active every time you make a new sketch? And if you need to change the sketch plane later to some other surface that you have to pick in the middle of your tree? Or if you have projected/intersected someting from your solid at a certain time. How do you "find back" to the same place in the tree as when you created the sketch the first time to replace these? Don't you get update cycles?

I also have a question regarding the original subject of this thread (since we are a bit of-track):
I have a quite large and complex part whit many booleans, and suddenly when i try to assemble one more body Catia refuses to move it under the PartBody as all the others. Even if i put it at the end and if i sketch a simple circle with no links to anything above.. Are currently running R14, and when I do the same in R16 this works. Just a bug?

Stargazer - you can move your sketch after creation. Contextual menu - change geometric set -- pick a different partbody or geometric set. Having sketches in common area would make it easy for another user to find what they are looking for. If you create a pad, draft all sides, add some fillets..... it can be cumbersome to find the initial sketch.
What colour is the gear of the Partbody? the only time I have seen this - Hybrid and Non-Hybrids in the same part, but this could be a R14 bug.

Regards,
Derek

Stargazer81 said:
I want to have all my sketches ordered directly under each feature. Why do you need them in an geo-set? Doesn't this mean that you have to set the geo-set as active every time you make a new sketch?

First off, not it does not. Derek stated correctly, that you can move them after creation, very easily. I have my left arrow button set as a hot key to change geometrical sets, as I do a lot of organizing at the end. Why don't I want sketches in the PartBody, you wonder? Because I'm a neat freak when it comes to data, and I don't like part trees that look like the great wall of China. I prefer to have like elements grouped similarly. It's much easier to find things that way.

Just for fun, Stargazer81 - would you like to compare one of my part trees to one of your hybrid trees?

To address something else that you said - it is just plain wrong to attach sketches to surfaces, or other features, unless you have a 100% sound reason to do so. YOu are asking for update errors in doing such. Wherever possible, it is much better to let elements be parametric, but independent of features. I like to think of it this way: Features from elements, but no elements from features.

As for the hybrid bodies issue, I fear this to be a bug. I tried it in R14, but it worked for me, and no problem on later releases. (I have a lot of customer data that is translated from UG, and it all comes in as hybrid bodies, so I deal with this alot) Of course, you haven't mentioned what release and SP you are using. You can search the IBM website for a PMR on this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Just to chime in I organize like Solid7. Although we have hybrid bodies enabled, I never put wireframe/surface/GSD elements in my part bodies.

Instead I goup by geometric sets like Sketches, Planes, IML / OML Surfaces, Inspection Points, etc...

I find this to be a great way of organization as long as you use descriptive names for your sketches.

Maybe its just a preferenece thing, but I HATE having long part body history trees as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back