Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boolean Subtraction from IGES import Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSSmodel

Bioengineer
Oct 3, 2003
US
Hello,
I have imported an IGES file and created a solid using INSERT:FORM FEATURE: EXTRACT commands...I have created an assembly using that part as the master. I wish to use a Boolean Subtract function to remove the components in the assembly from the master part...leaving behind thier intersecting surface geometries.

When I use the command, the body from the IGES file is selectable as the TARGET BODY, but the components of the assembly (which are standard UG designed parts) are not selectable as TOOL BODIES.

Somehow, I have successfully done this before, but I can't remember how I did it.

I would appreciate any help to get this done.

Thanks in advance for your time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the tool bodies are components in the assy, you need to use wave geometry linker and extract those bodies. You should then be able to subtract them. You can them break their respective links if you want to remove the components from the assy, or you can change their reference sets to "empty" and maintain their relationships to the parent components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back