Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boolean / trimming error - adjacent features disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowspawn

Aerospace
Sep 23, 2004
US
Here's one that has me scratching my head. I have a concave surface with a locating barrel removed from it. I need to somehow remove some periphery geometry, but regardless of the method used the resulting geometry is 'filling in' the barrel cavity erroneously. However, if I offset the tool surface +/-.0001" then the results are as one would expect.

Why is this happenning? All resulting geometry seems to check out 'ok' regardless of the method(s) used... Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this a known issue? Thanks in advance...

Regards,
SS

CAD should pay for itself, shouldn't it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, I ran your original part thru the Examine Geometry check and there are some edges which have tolerance issues. I then ran the part thru the Heal Geometry function which cleaned up the tolerance problems and then it works fine, as seen in the model attached below.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f019a49b-5a35-4dcc-9d98-1a55771f4c00&file=BooleanTest-JRB-1.prt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back