Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Boot problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogg

Automotive
May 18, 2003
GB
I have just run into a problem with my MSI kt4 ms6590 ultra mobo. It worked fine for 2 weeks, crashed and never booted up properly from then on.

The d brackets 4 led code changes around from RAM to CPU, as it feels.

Have tryed new RAM and CPU but no luck.

system is as follows
1) 560 watt psu
2) 2200 amd cpu
3) pc3200 RAM
4) ti4200 128 graphics
5) w98 se

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you've had it for such a short time, I'd RMA it back to the place you got it and try a new one. I've had defective mobos before. Also, because the failure to load the OS and other devices seems to be sporadic (e.g. it fails at different times and sometimes loads Windows), you may want to ensure you are ESD protected when you install the new one.

Hey!! The new mobo finaly arrived.
Took the new gigabyte insted. Looks like you were right, Thanks.

The "new" machine worked fine for a few hours and the cpu let go.
Do you think the old mobo could have damaged the CPU.
I am now worried that the memory and graphics card might have been damaged aswell.

Question is, do i send the CPU back under warr or do i get payment from the mobo supplier for a new one.

Hey Grogg. What type of heatsink compound did you use to place the processor into your new mother board, or are the heatsink and fan attached?

Newer processors are very termperature sensitive and require a special thermal compound other than silicon grease for the bond. Without a proper bond they will cook quickly. This damage should be visible on the processor if this is the case.

Hi,

I sent the cpu back for exchange and it was sent back to me. I also got a phone call to explain that the cpu had overheated, I have sent it back again with a phone call to explain that the mainboard was at fault for the problem again.

You see i noticed that the heatsink was not touching the die fully, the mountig for the cpu allowed it to sit to deep.

I checked this heatsink on my old board and it fits fine.
(also the heatsink and fan are AMD approved)

I used the compound that came with the heatsink.(grey in colour)

Thanx
grogg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back