Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Borders in multi sheet drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnour

Mechanical
May 6, 2003
US
We are slowly moving to UG from Ideas. We need to know how to insert a border in a multi sheet drawing? We have drawings with 60+ sheets and in Ideas we put the border on the first sheet and it shows up on all of them. To have to insert a drawing border on 60 sheets is going to be insane. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get out the straight jacket! [wink]

Seriously, there may be a way that one of the other members knows of, but I have no ideas for you. Sorry.

What do you do in Ideas if your second sheet format is different (reduced title block for example)?

Most places I have worked at have a second sheet format, same size as sh 1, but smaller title block (no need for redundant info, signatures which are specified on sh 1).

Maybe a macro, grip program, or journaling (VB.net macro feature of NX3 or higher) can help you out.

Our drawing number system is related to drawing size.
You have my condolences, the last system I was under like that was just horrible.

I'd just create a blank drawing, with the 60 pages and border on all 60 pages, then save it as a template or seed part. At least you'd only have to mess with it once rather than every time you create a drawing.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

nk...
I think were missing the point. It sounds to me like Alnour is looking for drawing border files with pattern data saved. The seed files could be created with 2 drawing sheets saved (with the appropriate sheet 1 and sheet 2 pattern data saved. Any number of continuation sheets could be added with minimal effort. In my previous employ, I created a grip that added the number of drawing sheets required based off user entry. This included heavy use of attributes, addition of all the text, pattern data usage, and so forth.
I'd be happy to expound if anyone is interested...

SS

Shadowspawn this is what would be needed. If a grip was used to produce the number of sheets with the title block and other attributes it would be what we need. Could you explain more on this. Thanks
Alnour

Alnour,
Ok...a few questions first. Does your company use a PDM tool, such as IMAN, UGMAN, Tce, etc? If so, than all part file names will need to be encoded decoded when used. Not a big deal, but there is the possibility of the encoded part naming being too long
I'm assumming that decent seed files have been used, in so much as consistent CAD standards are used (consistentency! same layering, text height and font, same attribute names, etc.)
The grip I created asked the user how many drawing sheets to add, and would then read the current file to determine the number of existing drawing sheets and add to this number the quantity desired. It would create the dwg sheet at the correct size, add the border on the correct layer, add all of the text at the correct size, position, orientation, attribute, etc. It would then, based on drawing type (casting&machining, assembly, purchased part, detail, etc) add the correct decals to the face of the drawing (advanced release, sign off block, production release decal, uncontrolled copy, etc).
Want more?

SS

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have a question for ShadowSpawn.

SS,

Would you be willing to email me? My address is under my user profile. Just click my nickname and it should appear. I have some questions about GRIP, if you wouldn't mind answering them.

Thanks,

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Shadowspawn
I am not sure what a PDM tool is. We will be implementing Teamcenter in a couple of months, is this what you mean. The grip program you created is something that we could use to produce these large multisheet drawing. The are drawing of large cable assemblies for hydro generators. I do not know how to write a grip program could you suggest a web site or books to learn this skill. I would like more information on the grip you wrote as it would be very useful for us. Thanks

Alnour,
Yes, Teamcenter (aka Tce) is a PDM tool. Your UG files will be kept in a secure oracle db and all part file naming conventions that your familiar with will be changing. Load options become very important, and so does versioning rules and permissions. I hope your company has a well thought out plan in place for the migration. Seek expert help and follow their suggestions... Anyway, for grip this means that all partfile names and revisions have to be encoded and decoded as the parts move in and out of the db. We had all of our decals (seperate part files resembling the dwg decal) in the native environment and maintained them their. This makes things simpler and more effective.
As far as learning grip, I should mention here that grip is a mature programming language and isn't being enhanced or really maintained as one would hope. Another language may be more beneficial to start with, such as VB or C++.

SS

You can create a Master Drawing file for each size and the highest number of sheets that you use 60 or so.

Then you could probably create a macro with user pauses in it that opens up the 60 sheet drawing with the formats and does a drawing export operation.

You can Export the Master drawing file into an existing part by using

File > Export > Part

select "Existing" and hit Specify Part and choose the drawing you want to export the formats to.

Then choose Drawing selection. Select the sheets to export And drag your cursor over the number of sheets you want to export and Hit OK.

Hit OK again and you'll get a message confirming the sheets have been exported.

Michael

[wavey3]

You can also just copy and paste each time you need a new drawing. That is if the format will always be the same through out each drawing.

That would be the easiest way, second way would be just importing in a standard seed file.

Also, instead of having multiple drawings and models in one file, why not just use the master model format.

One drawing which through assemblies links in the model file per part. Then through assemblies you can create a top level that has all the pieces that make up the assembly. That is a much easier system in my book. Less clutter, easier to maintain the files and definitely easier to sift through the assembly if you need just a few components loaded.

Just a suggestion.

jackley,
We are talking the master model format, and I'd like to caution against using the copy/paste functionality for additional drawing sheets. Doing this negates the attribute links which makes updates to multi-sheet drawings a pain. We actually made a standard saying that any drawing sheets created this way would either be re-done, or all the attributes would be re-created to maintain their associativity. Either-way is a pain... If you don't use attributes than your way is fine. But then again, that's a lot of time wasted so much of what the drafters do is repetitious and can be automated.
By using a grip, we automated out all inputs from the detailer except for the number of additional sheets they wanted (simple text input box). We also found that doing 'save-as' type drawings were easier to incorporate as well.
Just my .02 cents...

SS
Every piece-part has a seperate model file and drawing file (if needed) and every assembly has it's own corresponding assembly drawing, as often as necessary thru the very top level outline drawing.

That is a very good point, one which I didn't take into an account for. I never do this, just know about it. Since we only have one drawing per drawing format.

And speaking of grip, or any programming language, I would love to be able to compile something that would fill out our titleblock rather than manually clicking on everything. Similiar to the GM Toolkit way.

Dabbled with it a little bit. But I want something we can click, enter in the text through the pop ups and it fills it out accordingly.

Would streamline a lot. With the attributes, we have to manually edit them so we just stick with manually clicking on the title block (we have dashes in place where we want text). I created a table to help us for the revision block and working on a table for our titleblock information. A bit of a pain for the titleblock part.

Why do they only allow a certain number of characters per cell in tables? Never did understand that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back