Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Borosilicate Blocks for Chimney Liner Retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inzynier

Structural
Dec 19, 2001
US
I am looking for information on manufacturers of borosilicate blocks commonly used for chimney liners. The only product I am aware of is Pennguard block manufactured by Hadek. It is an excellent productr, but some of our customers ask for alternate sources. If you are aware of other producers, please reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that Pennguard Block is manufactured by Pittsburgh Corning. Hadek are a marketing/design/installer of the Pennguard product. There are alternative manufacturers of both the Borosilicate Block and the Elastomeric Adhesive.

Ergon Armor now own Henkel (Corrosion Engineering). The Pennguard Block product is now part of the Ergon portfolio of materials. Ergon are manufacturing mortars, screeds and membranes. Pittsburgh Corning produce the Borosilicate glass block, labelled for Ergon as Pennguard Block. Equivalent materials are available which have been used in over 20 chimneys.

I know Ecocera and Blome. Blome are being run by an ex Henkel guy. Blome are a small version of Ergon, selling chemical resistant mortars, coatings and membranes. The GI-180 material is of a lower quality than Pennguard Block (lower density and less boron). What exactly are you wanting? Perhaps you should e-mail me with your requirements/plans for chimney linings: david@anticorrosion-eu.com I should be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back