Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boss was expecting me to become an expert in 6 months. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

POLYENGMOR

Civil/Environmental
Sep 3, 2021
MA
Hello fellow engineers.

Please excuse my English, not my native language.

I'm a civil engineer who has been working for 6 years now. For the 5 first years, I have been working as a "studies engineer" for a construction company specialized in a "niche" construction sector. During those years, I was involved in producing what we call here execution studies which are majorly shop drawings. Then I have been promoted to manage a team of technicians for the production of those "execution studies". Last year, I have been hired by a company to do the same job but in a different construction sector. In the new company, part of these studies (calculations) are produced by an expert. The expert retired last month and now they are expecting me to do the expert's job besides my initial duties (and some other duties that have been added during these 6 months). I was told about their expectations 3 months ago but they have been giving me so many tasks that I hardly picked up 30% of what the expert was doing. I have a meeting with the CEO (small company) about this next week. How to deal with it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...a challenge! [ponder]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Honesty is the best policy. Tell them what you think, what the problems are. But also provide a solution. Figure out a training timeline that will get you where you need to go, and figure out how much of the other work you can do. Then set boundaries and fight to make sure the plan is implemented.

A lot of bosses give work and let their employees tell them when it's too much. It's a terrible "leadership" method, but it's quite common. They may be pilling it on to 1) see what you can take and 2) see if you'll stand up for yourself. Or it may just be a shite company with shite leadership. No way to tell from the outside.

A manager has two primary jobs, set priorities and allocate resources.
I would go at it that way, with a list of what you have on your plate and ask him about priorities.
Be realistic about how much time you will need to pick up the calculation work.
And about how much time it will take going forward.
It is likely that once upon a time one person did both jobs, but perhaps the projects have changed over the years and that is no longer realistic.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Ask for the company to offer the expert a part time or contract gig to specifically train you. As he's retired there should not be much worry over his concern about being replaced. It would also offer the potential for a retainer fee to that guy for help with particular problems that might come up in the future with your responsibility to budget that and not be wasteful of that money or his time.

I have seen this done and it works fine. Depending on retirement regulations, a small amount/not full time is OK.

Nobody is going to expect a newbie to fill the role of a senior person.

You have some options:

1. Since you are new to the business, request that the Boss provide you with a mentor to provide guidance.

2. Consider getting a business degree. You appear to be a victim of the Peter principle:

Peter

3. Look for a new position. Right now is a great time to be looking.

bimr said:
2. Consider getting a business degree. You appear to be a victim of the Peter principle:

How is a business degree going to help me in this situation?

suggest that if you want to grow as an engineer, work for an engineering company, not a contractor

POLYENGMOR (Civil/Environmental)(OP) said:
How is a business degree going to help me in this situation?

Most engineers have little business acumen. Some business courses will help you to understand how things work in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back