Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bottom weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseAcevedo

Mechanical
May 25, 2007
VE
Does anyone could tell me. Why is it recommeded, for API 650 Vertical tank, to make a buttweld joint for the bottom's plates with thickness of 3/8" and thicker?

Is There any trouble in having lap weld bottom joints?. Why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3/8 is about the limit of a fabricator's ability to field form the breakdowns and three plate laps for a lap welded bottom. They have learned the hard way that it is very difficult to build a fully lap welded tank bottom at thicker than 5/16. That's why you normally see a butt welded bottom when the thickness exceeds 3/8"

Joe Tank

It is most certainly possible to build a 3/8" lap welded bottom. I have seen it done more than once. But as Joe said it is difficult and presents several challenges for the fabricator. It might also turn out to be more economical in the long run to build a butt welded bottom. Is there some reason you want to use a lap weld rather than a butt weld?

Our experience is that the difficulties with the "breakdowns" on 3/8" floors is minor compared to greatly reduced time for lap fitup and welding. I would think 3/8" is the practical limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back