Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bound mates in assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpops

Mechanical
May 24, 2004
US
I'm interested in making a mate as such:
I have an L Bracket which, instead of having a standard through-hole, I have a rectangler hole (ends filleted) so that the L Bracket can be bolted onto another part, then adjusted. So I'd like to make a mate so that the screw can lie anywhere within this hole. It's not as easy to do as a concentric mate (screw to hole). I suppose I could use collision detection and that would work, but I'd rather not do that. Any suggestions on how I could about this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do this lots of ways.

One way is to sketch a line centered along the length of the slot and make the screw origin to the sketch line--this will allow some sliding.

Another way is similar to the first method, but using a plane centered along the length of the slot instead of a mere sketch line. More stable, a little more set-up time.

There are other ways, too, if necessary. The ones I listed are simple ones I thought of first.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Which part is moving? The fastener, the "L Bracket" or the "another part"?

Assuming it's the "L Bracket" that's moving, the fastener should be mated to the "another part". The "L Bracket" should then have a Limit Mate set to the fastener.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Theophilus,

thanks for the tip. I tried it, and it does work, however, it doesnt limit how far it can slide, and the lbracket can slide indefenitely. The coincidence mate takes the centerline as well as imaginary extensions of it into infinity.

CorBlimey, I see what you're saying as well, but I'm not sure what you mean by a limit Mate.

Sorry for the questions, I'm fairly new to SolidWorks. I've worked for a year with EDS: I-deas, and though I much prefer SW, It's still taking some time to learn how it all works.

Thanks again!

Check the Help file for Limit Mate

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back