Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boundary Lubricating in Low-Pressure Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

pachard

Mechanical
May 30, 2012
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to find theoretical documentation or insight relating to boundary lubrication in a low-pressure application. I'm trying to model the static friction in a system consisting of metal-to-metal contact, wetted by a (somewhat viscous) fluid (sorry I can't disclose the specifics).
The relative speeds of the two metals are not high enough to generate full lubrication.

Thanks!
(First post, I hope to be able to contribute soon!)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the tip. I can assure you I've been searching the web for a few hours now, I only use forums as a last resort...

What I guess I'm really searching for is a theoretical explanation as to what makes a wet surface slippery. I don't know if boundary lubrication is the proper term describing this regime of friction.

The application is a silicone chip resting on a substrate, wetted by a layer of antioxidant flux (before soldering of the contacts); I'm coming up with a rough model of its resistance to displacing disturbances. I would suppose near-atmospheric pressure, probably regulated by capillary forces.

I'm probably going to end up conducting a test isolating the static coefficient of friction of the contacting surfaces, it's just that I don't know what fundamentally causes wet surfaces to exhibit a lower static coefficient than dry ones, since there is no relative movement in the static scenario (or is there?).

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back