Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boundry Blend to Tangent Surface? Can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jupdyke

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2011
US
Hello all,

I have a surfacing question for you all. I have two surfaces which I want to connect in order to make a solid body. These surfaces are created by a sweep and an offset. I can connect them with a boundary blend without too much trouble. However, I would be happier if I could connect them and have the connection be tangent to the bottom surface. Then maybe I could trim the remaining bit of the bottom surface and solidify it. Attached are some pictures that help explain what I am talking about. The first picture shows the boundary blend I can currently make.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I figured that this was a tricky bit of modeling. I will keep playing around with it, and if I figure something out I will let you all know.

josh

Some things I always consider when I'm having trouble maintaining tangency at a surface intersection:
1) Can you first define the boundaries of the boundary blend surface as datum curves and maintain tangency or better in those datum curves?
2) If I remove the tangency requirement on the boundary blend and analyze the gaussian curvature, are there any ripples or ugly bits in the geometry? If so, eliminate that first before attempting to get tangency.
3) If the boundary blend is filling a patch between surfaces, refer to point 1) above but keep in mind that all bounding surfaces must maintain tangency or better continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back