Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Box abutment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SayGoodDay

Structural
Apr 18, 2007
JP
Hi
Can anyone show me some drawings of what Box abutment looks like, and how it support the superstructure. As I only know, the box abutment is some kind of system have void and thin wall. But not sure any more detail.

Thanks for your help.

SayGoodDay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not heard of the term 'box abutment' before. However there is such a thing as a 'vaulted abutment'.

Vaulted abutments are usually 20' to 30' in length and begin near the end of the roadway with a simple beam supported by piling. This beam is framed into two side walls (8-10" thick) which extend from the back beam to the main concrete beam where the bridge girders are bearing on. The sidewalls will be level with the roadway at the top and at the bottom will follow the fill slope downward. In the front of the abutment at the main concrete bearing beam, there is another wall sometimes called a curtain wall or skirt wall to cover the void from the front and give the appearance that the abutment is a huge concrete monolith. In reality, the walls only cover up the void inside the abutment. To support the roadway slab atop this abutment several systems can be used. The most common are for the 20-30 length use a structural slab or use prestressed i-girders to support the slab.

I hope that description helps.

You can search the internet for Vaulted abutments.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

I have desgined a bridge (rehabilitation) with abutments similar to what is described by Qshake. The abutments were called as cellular abutments. It has two separate footings on piles about 15' apart. The footings were joined together at intervals with thin walls forming cells. The cells were filled up with backfill material.

Check this link:

Noopur Jain
Bridge/Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back