Box Culvert as Catch Basin

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPBD

Civil/Environmental
Oct 30, 2019
PH
Hi everyone!

I recently got involved in a project with box culverts that will serve as a catch basin (to be constructed underground of a roadway shoulder 1km long). The said box culvert will serve as a catch basin with only manhole/grates as inlet and no outfall at all. Can anyone recommend any references or similar projects I can use for hydrology and hydraulic design of the structure? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Curious, how is the runoff volume disposed of if there is no outlet pipe or drywell? I have used box culverts as underground vaults; but, have always had some type of outlet whether bleed pipe/drywell or connected to storm drain system. These were used as underground storage facilities.

Current request from the client is that there will be no outfall in the future but I was planning to recommend connection to an outfall as a future provision. Yes, the culvert will also be used as an underground storage. Can you recommend any references??

Check with your local/regional Transportation Agency for Standard Details. If you are not in the States, Check with Precast Companies like Old Castle Jensen or similar. Maybe google Precast culverts.

dont call it an outfall, call it a bleed off line. it must be disposed of within 24-72 hours based on most agency rules. often times at a rate of 1 cfs maximum. and if not, how will it continue to capture water when it gets full?

so if I understand you, its really not a 'culvert' in the traditional sense, but more of an underground stormwater retention chamber with no outlet? like cvg asked, how would you continue to capture water once its full and there is no 'bleed off line' or drawdown device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back