Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Box culvert bridge design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirhejazi

Structural
Aug 11, 2000
CA
Hi
Could you please guide me to find a text book that shows from A to Z solved example of a box culvert bridge analysis and design (Concrete structure)
I am also looking for a software that will do the same thing.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Allen Hejazi, P.Eng.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out Caltrans website. On the website look for the Bridge Design Manual. You will find an example there.

As for software, most use generic structural analysis software. There really isn't a specific software available to do this. I think a program exist for single boxes. But obviously that is very limited.

Tincan(Civil)
Allan,
how many cells, depth of cover, governing code, etc?

A spreadsheet can be written to account for the above. The first one takes a while but the second one is a snap. I've got sheets for 1 thru 4 cells.

Tincan,
Thanks. It is just one cell up to 6m span and 4m rise. the topping could be a distribution slab or between 0.6 to 4m height toping.
Please let me know.
Thanks again.

If you don't mind the a comment on a preferred use of a box bridge. I happen to like box bridges for medium span bridges - single cell say up to 8m across - or slightly more. Why? I've been involved in construction of highways over the last few years and on the most recent job, we have an existing bridge sitting on compressible clayey soil. They planned a new bridge only 3m away at the nearest point for carriageway twinning. THey put each abutment on individual spread foundations without any thought of how the new foundations would interact with the old - of course, it may take 5 to 8 years to find out. But, the individual footings had something like 3m toe and 3 to 4m heel - and the span was only 8m. So, if you put the two together, you have a clearance of only 2m between the toes. It would have saved concrete to connect the toes and get rid of the heels. It would also permit the new bridge to act as a single unit (how well depending on stiffness of base slab) - and, would have likely reduced the problems with the old bridge foundations' interaction. [cheers]

Thank you for all the supports. I am in the process of buying the BOX-CAR software from American Precast Pipe Association.
Still any back up or spreadsheet to ward analysis of box culverts or HY-Spans would be really appreciated.
Thank you again.

Hi,

The MTO in Ontario, Canada has "Concrete Culvert Design and Detailing Manual" which covers up to 6 metre spans and 4 metre vertical openings for rigid frame open footing culverts and box culverts.

Regards
VOD

I am beginning the design of a concrete box culvert and I read the thread from tincan about the spreadsheets that he offered for the design. Will you send me an email of the spread sheets? In addition, if possible I would like to hear your opinion of the software that you purchased from American Precast Pipe Association, or any such similar software for the concrete box culvert design. The last such culvert that I designed was in 1991 with moment distribution and the detail drawings from the WIS DOT. I would like to proceed to get the design plans out and keep the design costs at a minimum.
Thank You in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back