Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOX SECTION PROPORTIONS IN LRFD BRIDGE SPEC.2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLESCOSTA

Structural
Aug 26, 2007
IN
Hi,
I was looking for proportions of web and flange for single box section in lrfd bridge spec-2007{SI edition).In 6.10.2 I could get these values for I section.In 6.11.2.2 these values for tub section are given.However proportions for box section could not be found (like ratio of compression flange width to flange thickness).Did I miss it somewhere
or its omitted (which would be really surprising).Your
help is requested in this matter.Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this what you mean by box? []
Is this what you mean by tub? T_T

This shape, [], is typically used for truss chord members - although I did use it for a pedestrian bridge - and not used a girder. If you use the [] as a bending member you have to follow the proportions for a tub.

Bridgebuster,
Your notation of box and tub section is same as given in AASHTO bridge design spec 2007 and this was what I meant.
However finally I could locate flange proportion for box section.In 6.11.8.2.2.Actually flexure resistance for compression flange is given in terms of flange slenderness
b/t.So in other words for given compressive stress in flange maximum allowable b/t can be found out.For I and tub section b/t is explicitly given to be <=24t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back