Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BP Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
BP accepted responsibility long ago. They don't agree that budget cuts are at fault. However, many of the old refineries like that former Amoco do not follow current guidelines. Perhaps the fault is largely with the dinosaurs who run many of the old plants bought by BP.

I participated on an offshore vessel design with BP. Safety was considered at every step of design and reconsidered every day. BP required the vessel fabrication yard to follow BP rules and it surely prevented accidents.

Strikes suck.

You know I wanted to start a post on this, so I'm glad you broke the ice here!

…Have you notice that "most" facilities are operating with very "old" systems!?? ...I've worked on the Alaskan Pipeline and afew oil refineries ...most are very old and desperately needing up-grading! The Alaskan Pipeline was only designed to have a 15 year service life ...been going now for 28 yr.s! Seems the philosophy is to operate system until they catastrophically fail and THEN pick up the pieces! Also with a nervous world market when something like this happens (the Texas City Refinery & and Alaskan Pipeline repair) prices jump on the barrel of oil. So it seems that oil companies have got it made coming and going! My $0.02! ...Mark

P.S. ...Wonder how long before this post will disappear?

BigInch,
The video does not work here !

Luiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back