Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Brace Frame Connection to HSS Column: Is HSS wall plastification the only limit state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdengineer

Structural
Dec 15, 2008
US
I have been designing a braced frame connection using AISC's Design Guide 29 and have a decent grasp on the designing the various elements of the connection, but the particular detail I am working with has a HSS column (5x5x1/2) member. I have scoured the message boards and papers/design guides I can find and I am still lacking a little when it comes to checking the connection from the gusset and beam/shear tab to the column. Based on the example in DG24 for HSS members, the only check I see is HSS wall plastification (Table 7-2, Eq. K1-9) for a longitudinal plate under axial load.

It is my understanding that using the uniform force method, I end up with a vertical and horizontal force at the face of the column at the gusset connection location and vert. and horiz. forces at the beam/shear tab connection location. If I calculate a resultant load from these vert/horiz forces and the angle it acts in, I should be able to compare that to the capacity of the HSS due to wall plastification provided by Eq. K1-9 for each of these two locations.

Is this the only limit state check required for this situation? Am I thinking about this correctly? Looking for some guidance, feel free to be as practical as possible, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back