Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bracing for Lateral Torsional Buckling

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVE97

Structural
Jul 9, 2008
US
I need to brace the compression flange of a beam temporarily against lateral torsional buckling while a temporary load is added. I was wondering what the required force is to reist the buckling? I have heard that the rule of thumb is 2% of the flange force. Has anyone else heard this or know the exact answer?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends if it's a relative or nodal brace. This is covered in great detail in AISC 360-05 App. 6 of the spec.
For a relative brace, the required brace strength is 0.008MrCd/ho , and the required brace stiffness is 4MrCd/(Lbho) either divided by phi or multiplied by omega depending on ASD/LRFD.

The Canadian steel code mentions the 2% rule. Cant remember the exact clause but I know it is in Sect 9.
As far as I am aware, CISC makes no distinction between a "relative or nodal brace"
What is the difference between them?

A relative brace just braces the beam with respect to other brace points. A nodal brace braces the beam with direct help from other brace points. The way I think about it is that a nodal brace somewhat fixes the brace point in space (in the axis of the brace), relatively speaking of course. A relative brace fixes the brace point with respect to other brace points, but not in space. The relative braces can all move together.

I figured out the maximum spacing of my baces to be able to get the full allowable stress (Lb < Lc) using L/rt. The spacing of my braces can be at a maximum of 14 ft to get the full allowable stress of 0.60FY. Now I need to find out what force do I need to design these discrete braces for? 2% of the flange has been a common rule of mine but I only heard that in a seminar once and never understood where it came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back