Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bracket for guardrail post to channel web

Status
Not open for further replies.

wag2483

Structural
Oct 28, 2009
US
Is there a standard side mount bracket detail or product between a channel web and round post for an industrial guardrail? Each as-built I've seen has a mount on top flange of channel, acting as a pin connection, not meeting IBC lateral load criteria. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why is it a pin? Granted, not a lot of room for a weld on a lot of them unless you go to an MC. But if there's room, you can weld all around and fix it. If you're worried about local deformation of the cross section neutering the fixity, add a web stiffener.

Otherwise, a plate or angle off the web and welded to the base of the post. But beware, this can extend your post several inches and some standard sizes may not work.

Pham - was specifically referring to the attached photo and observed other similar connections.
Screenshot_20240528-160421_dwmhgo.png

Ah. That one. It can still achieve fixity. You have to look at the couple formed by tension in the bolt and bearing between steel surfaces.

These are the different bases I encounter...

Clipboard01_eompn4.jpg

In addition, the AISC has a publication DG34 that deals with the attachment of a post to a Channel stringer.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

A google image search for "handrail base side mount" pulls up a number of items.
I remember seeing fabricated-steel details, but don't remember where- possibly PIP standards.

For the loads we are talking about that is effectively a rigid connection.

If you are more worried about deflection any lack of torsional restrain of beam/channel will lead to more deflection than that connection.

PIP (Process Industry Practices) publishes a document addressing different typical connections, it is PIP STF05520, Details for Pipe Railing for Walking and Working Surfaces.
This is from the 2003 version:
guardrail_connection_z9smkh.png

Rather than plate elements welded as shown, I also often see this done with a single angle (bolts on one side only).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back