Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bracket welded to vessel after hydrotest 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speckworm

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2010
US
I was looking in older posts about repairs to PVs. Our vessel has been stamped and shipped, and now needs a bracket on a pressure-retaining wall. I think I understand it all now as follows:

ASME Code no longer applies, it is NBIC jurisdiction now.
Work must be performed by someone with an R Stamp.
NDE or pressure test must be performed when work is completed.
Both of the above under the approval of NBIC Inspector.

One question: Will the vessel actually require an R-Stamp? If so, what is the difference (if any) between welding a bracket to the vessel wall and say replacing a nozzle (penetration) that was damaged in shipment? Are they treated equally?

Metengr if you are out there your guidance would be most appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once the vessel is stamped and data reports certified, ASME work is completed.
Your understanding is correct. Its NBIC jurisdiction now.
Check, probably this work can be considered as Routine Repair where in process inspection by Inspector is not required.
You can also avoid R name plate. The addition or repair of nonload bearing attachments to pressure-retaining items where post weld heat treatment is not required is considered as routine repair
The routine repair however is required to be documented on R form
Refer 3.3.2 of NBIC

"a bracket" is not very informative.

If you can design/-re-design the bracket so the weld is as small as possible - such as 2x or 4x double fillet welds (one fillet one each side) where each fillet is less than 3/8 inch leg, then the heat into the PV is reduced. Compare, for example,the above 4x small welds to one that is a 1/2 or 3/4 inch fillet.

Speckworm;
I agree that the work would fall under either API 510 or the NBIC. Routine repairs are not Card Blanche in the NBIC, some Jurisdictions across the US do not approve them, and the Inspection agency has to agree with the scope of routine repairs.

With that aside, there is no issue with a repair because a repair nameplate would be affixed to the vessel.

If the vessel is only at site but not commissioned and operating, it does not necessarily mean 'repair'. The bracket and hydrotest may be performed under Section VIII. It could be as simple as how your jurisdiction is defining 'repair' and/or 'alteration'. As always...I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back