Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

braided flex connector failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

seg2007

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2008
US
I recently had a flex connector fail on the radiator piping for a large generator. It has been speculated that the flex connector was installed at a angle great enough to cause turbulent flow and increase pressure dramiatically.

Does any one know if there is a straight pipe distance down stream of a connector required to avoid this situation?

Does this hypothesis make sense?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The pressure/turbulence theory does not seem likely.

For any type of hose, there are limits for offsets & min-radius. If the installation radius is too tight, you will reduce the hose cross-section and this can result in greater dP for a given flow. Ensure you have not exceeded the hose capabilities by the nature of the installation.

Was this a corrugated SS hose with SS braid? If so, look at the application guide from the manufacturer and ensure that the maximum offset was not exceeded. Contrary to some folks beliefs this type of connection cannot handle much offset. I have seen these specified by engineers with the belief that no thermal expansion calculations are required when they are used because the flexible metal hose will “take care of it.” They are often wrong. Ensure the hose installation does not exceed the manufactures’ installation limits, both hot and cold.

Speculation will not solve the problem. As Zapster states, installation issues could be the cause. I suggest that you perform a Root Cause Failure Analysis on this failure to get to the root of the problem. Corrective actions can be taken based on the findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back