Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brake bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badrock

Computer
Jul 11, 2013
Hi to all!

I'm new to the forum, and to solidworks.
I need to build a bracket to a front caliper of my motorcycle.
To be sure that materials and design are safe, I've been learning how to use solidworks for the past weeks.
After calculating the force that the caliper will generate while braking, around 5800N in the worst case scenario, I'm now running some simulations to test my design.

Since I'm learning by myself, I'm not sure how much to trust me!! [neutral]
If anyone could take a look at the attached assembly and provide me some feedback it will be highly appreciated!! [smile]
I attach my assembly here, the forks and the caliper are gist a mock up to have the right restriction and force direction.
I've also included the bolts, with the right torque, but have no idea if it represents a realistic scenario, and how to select the proper bolts.

Originally I wanted to use 6082 T6 alu, since I can easily buy it here, but solidworks doesn't have it, so I went for 7075 T6. I've tried to keep the design as simple as possible, as I can mill it by hand.. CNC is a bit too expensive for me [sad].
The FoS seams to be above 4, which is very good for my design, as I think the the extreme scenario I've been considering will never occur in reality (it's a 50 years old motorcycle).

Any kind feedback, suggestion, comment or recommendation is very very welcome.. and will make me sleep better [smile].

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr Rock I've made hundreds of brake caliper hangers, and you seem to be O.K. for design. I would put a small radius on your cutter,to help cut down stress cracking, especially where the caliper attaches to the hanger. 6068 or 7075 should work. Just for giggles, is there anything floating? I usually float the rotor where it is attached to the adaptor.I find that its a real pain in the butt to align the caliper and rotor. It looks like you have single side hydraulics.

Hi ArtL,

Thanks for the quick reply [smile].
I'm not really sure what you mean by putting a small radius on the cutter (I know very little about machining and designing) . My interpretation is that I better round up the edges near the bolts and where the stress is concentrated, basically removing sharp corners.. but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The caliper I'm using is a 2 pot Brembo floating caliper from a BMW f650 (brembo 22.5553), and a 320mm floating rotor from a KTM. For the simulations I just calculated the braking force at the caliper by hand and applied it at the center of the pads, now that you make me think about it.. are there lateral forces, due to the floating part, that I should consider?

The reason I started using solidworks is that I only have a 3.5mm offset between the fork and caliper mounts.. and wanted to be sure the bracket is up to the job.

Thanks for helping me with your experience [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back