Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brake disk material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raceengineer

Automotive
Jun 26, 2002
NL
What kind of steel is used for brake disk? I am planning to get them laser cut, out of 9mm steel plates.(Quantity is only 10)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use gauge plate, but I don't know what the proper term is. Don't use stainless. Normal brake rotors are grey cast iron, I think, so the basic material properties are pretty hohum. Cheers

Greg Locock

Steel doesn't work as well as graphitic cast iron. It's a issue of thermal conductivity as well as friction properties.

Thanks, you led my in the right direction. I was actually considering stainless. I found that OEM’s recommend ASTM and ASME specified 80-60-03 Ductile Iron, because of the high-coefficient of friction.

Old post ... but is there anything new that is better to use? What are discs made of that have a "lifetime warranty"

These guys suggest "life of the car" rotors are monolithic ceramic material.

These guys offer rotors with a "limited lifetime warranty against warping."
Premium priced "Lifetime" pads are pretty common, but even from big suppliers there may be some FINE print.

My thoughts are too expensive. I can get a carbon brake setup for close the same as the zmi brakes.

Stainless steel isn't the very best material, perhaps, but it will work quite well when used with the correct friction material - that's what my Suzuki has, and I can attest they work well at 150 MPH+ !

Of course, a bike would have stainless rotors simply for appearance' sake.

My Corvette OTOH has simple carbon steel rotors, which also seem to work quite well but require grinding on a flywheel grinder rather than a brake lathe when turning is required, because of being too hard for the conventional turning tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back