Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Branch line removal while in service

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkpile

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm in need of a solution to remove a branch line from an active chilled water main. It's running at ~60psig, ~40°F, 30" ductile main, with a 3/4" A53 branch. We encountered this while excavating to replace some adjacent piping. I keep trying to think up something that would work for this removal, but can't think of anything that would be reliable enough - thinking on the lines of a reverse set-up of a hot-tap scenario, but just coming up dry.

Any ideas on this one? My engineers haven't come out with a solution on this either. This branch should really be removed entirely, and a flush patch installed, just not an option until we can schedule a shutdown next spring. Need something to get us by until then.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So can you sketch this out?

Is the 3/4" pipe still flowing whilst you do this?
Where is the nearest valve on the 3/4" line?
How much of a branch stub can you handle until you cut it off?

You need to find access way into your 3/4 " pipe then you can figure out a way to get an expanding plug in there/

No flow just put on a freeze block at the connection and then add a valve.

Or us a steel pipe squeeze off tool like this.

Many ways to kill this cat.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Would have froze this already, but it has enough flow to prevent it. Nearest valve is ~25ft away, and there is a 90 in the line. I will look into the squeezetool, curious if it will collapse sch 80 well enough.

With the pressure those things can generate they will crush solid rock....

There are a number of vendors - I searched "steel pipe squeeze off tool"

I meant freeze the branch line - if you're going to remove it surely you can close that valve? Would allow you to remove the 90 and add a valve so you can get access. Maybe even use an expanding plug? There are many with long activation tools.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Have you explored the use of a line stop in the branch line? Something like this?

It has a leak ~18" from the actual connection, valve is downstream of this location. Have attempted to seal off the leak with several methods to no avail. I'll be shutting the site down to get this removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back