Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

brass scrapper material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAEEDGH

Mechanical
May 11, 2024
US
hi. i wand to make a scrapper like shown in picture with brass material. i tested brass sheet but it was so ductile and bent easily. i need a brass like material that has spring like property and high elasticity and low hardness In order to avoid damage to the part.

110210004409_001_pijnzx.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you're dealing with fundamentally opposing requirements by expecting it won't bend but it will be soft enough to not scratch the part.

You can definitely experiment with work hardening the brass. But again, harder increases the risk of scraping your workpiece.

You can experiment with different grades of brass or bronze but either way I think you can't have a long unsupported plate of the scraper material. You'll need to sandwich the actual scraper between two plates of high hardness material (steel?).

BeCu is interesting because of it's low spark energy properties and high hardness. Agree that toxicity is a major problem to consider there. Also, do you need it to be non-sparking?

Be-Cu tools are certainly in legal use in a number of industries and applications. Dust is hazardous, but I would not expect scraper usage to generate a lot of dust. The biggest drawback is cost in my opinion.

As a part time mechanic I would cut 3/8-1/2 diameter copper tubing 6-8 inch long
I would hammer one end flat. These were my scrapers
For removing gaskets. Standard copper alloy for plumbing.

A person might wonder what we are scraping off of what.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Brass and copper are work hardening metals. The hardness of that scraper came from rolling the sheet flat. heat will anneal (soften) the metal but heat treatment cannot harden them. Look for the terms 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, full hard when buying.

Aluminum nickel bronze is a decent non-sparking cutting edge material, but finding it in full-hard thin sheet might be tricky. C51000 (510) phosphor bronze is obtainable from McMaster in spring temper (you might find other shops to give you extra-hard or extra-spring tempers which are harder yet, but realize more hard also means more brittle).

Follow Mint's lead.
Go to Copper.org and search by properties.
There are many Cu based alloys available as cold rolled sheet that would be hard enough for this.
Don't confuse stiffness and hardness.
The only way to increase stiffness is to make it thicker or move to a Fe based alloy.
If it is stronger then it will deflect further before it bends.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Actually want springy like spring steel. The reason for brass or copper ally is for scraping off debri on soft surfaces like aluminum heads, or flanges, or side covers or any part that's made from soft or not as hard material.
And can get damaged from using steel spatulas.
So I made my own. While my home made worked it was to soft but plenty stiff. The method was to start as a wedge. With a tapered surface
For lack of definition it was strong. So it was stiff enough because it started out tubular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back