Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Breaking a model into several models 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiwiliki

Aerospace
Dec 9, 2002
US
I have a part that I want to break down into multiple parts which will have additional features added to them to facilitate assembly into the original part they came from. Oh and I need to maintain parametric association with regard to their location relative to the original part and relative to their profile geometry!

The best I can come up with is to save sketches of the various parts and generate new part files from these sketches. This is not parametrically matched to the original files and also the sketches themselves are not fully defined!

Is there a better way?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

What is wrong with family tables, or saving copies and then using INTERCHANGE assembly?

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Go with the inheritance function to create the new parts. Then you can use automatic placemets or interchange assy.

-Hora.

If you don't like family tables, copy the original part in as many new parts you want, rename each of them, and modify them as you wish. You can also assemble them using coordinate systems for example.
Another possibility is to create a master model and use "publish geometry" and "copy geometry" functions to create new parts.

im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but why are you taking a model and then breaking it into several other models. It would make more sense to me (if I understand your question correctly) to start with several parts and then create the final model (assembly).

If you want to maintain associatively between models use either a merge feature or inheritance feature. This will enable you to have separate models that depend on the original model. The inheritance feature is a little different in that it can have varying features that were copied from the original model and the changes are not passed to the original model. If this is not what you had in mind then I suggest that you be careful when modifying features using the inheritance feature.

Good luck.

Another approach is to use the "master model" technique.
All child models will reference the master model parent. Make a change in the master model and regenerate the child and the child is updated.

Bob Schwerdlin

A possibility is to import geometry from another model. Start a new part and insert geometry from the original model. Select the coordinate system by default and the surfaces you are interested in. To make an assembly is easy because all the coordinate systems are relative to the original. But beware the changes you make to the original part because may affect to operations in new parts.

I know how this happens...you create a big model and then in retrospect realize that you need pc/pt models for procurement. The one piece of advice that I will give you is to be very careful that you don't intertwine any dependancies from piece to piece. You might be better off using 'copy feature' onto new pieces and checking refs as you go. If this is a new thing for you, make sure you think before you leap as this king of activity can create some monstrous problems down the line.
Have fun, Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back