Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

breaking up part into sub parts or clean configs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pejaer

Bioengineer
Aug 4, 2008
US
Hi All,

It has been some time that I requested some help...upgraded to 2012, but now my call help is "expired"...

I have a part with four bodies that I want to break up to create an assembly. A couple of solutions is to save-as 3-4 times and then delete the appropriate features appropriately, or, the way I was going to go is flip on/off some configurations and make an assembly with same part file multiple configurations....the problem is that I have references that I can't define....for example, if I try to suppress the front plate to try to isolate the side plates, the cut-out "fist grab relief" gets suppressed as well. I checked the external references of the cut-away and it appears clean...so I can't figure out why the front plate is a parent part? Other than identifying parents is there a way to identify why it is a parent??

Thanks,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Paul,
Create a delete body feature for each body in the model, use your configurations to turn these on and off to show only one body at a time.

Hi klemech and snowshoe2,

Thanks for the input....yet another function that I never used before is discovered...

Delete body works great; while finding this, I stumbled on "save bodies" which also works fine...."create assembly (split features)" did not work for some reason...which would seem to be the best of both worlds if it is intended to save bodies and create an assembly...

Thanks again for making me look for these easy solutions...

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back