Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

brewery tanks - U-Stamp (ASME) required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agmaraver

Chemical
Jun 17, 2019
ES
Dear all,
I would like to know if beer fermenters or yeast brink tanks do need the U-Stamp or if they fall within any exemption.
Do you know why beer kegs are exempted despte of having a working pressure higher than 15 psig??

thanks for your help!
Angela.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Beer kegs may be exempted due to the small size or specialized use; states and jurisdictions may have other exemptions.

Without knowing the size of the tanks/location, I would assume they need to be ASME vessels if the pressure is greater than 15 psig.

Thanks!
The size is not so small to be exempted by ASME Section VIII (6 inches according to U-1 (c) (2) (-i)).
The exemption that may apply is U-1 (c) (2) (-f): vessels containing water (that may contain additives being the flas point > 185ºF)under pressure [...]
But I cannot find that flash point value and if it fits for kegs, that would fit also for fermenters...
So I am completely lost!!

I have never seen tanks and fermenters stamped, I have never seen any designed to work above a few psig.
The cleanability aspect is usually the most critical one. These are usually built sort of like BPE.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Angela,

I work for a brewery equipment manufacturer, and yes we build tanks to the ASME code when they are rated greater than 15 psi. Ordinarily, the tanks are exempt but occasionally a customer will ask for a 2 or 3 bar tank (typically a bright tank). Greater pressure = faster carbonation, or so I've been told. The CO2 is the tricky part, particularly for fermenters. It's difficult to claim an exemption for a fluid approximating water when a pressurized blanket is being applied using CO2.

We also have fitting designs registered for steam jackets rated greater than 15 psi.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back