Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brick Veneer on wood sill plate? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJJS

Structural
Jan 23, 2006
US
Are there any problems/issues with bearing brick veneer directly on a pressure treated wood sill plate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a condition where there is brick veneer is on the interior. So, the brick needs to run up between the floor joists.

Based on the building code (IBC) masonry can "not" be supported by wood.
I inspected a job recently in Chinatown, Philadelphia where
building official made builder remove pressure treated wood lintels and replace them with steel angles.

The code section I refer to from IBC 2003 is 2304.12 page 457.

There are exceptions for veneer, but only when wood is part of a wood foundation system or veneer is interior.

We support veneer on fireplace with wood all the time. A lot of times the veneer goes from floor to ceiling. I cant see why not especially because the conrete is supporting the the brick, not the wood.

That is just the code. The intent is that if there is a fire, the masonry won't fall on the firefighters. An exposed gable with mansonry veneer on it supported by wood rafters below is where this is meant to apply. I don't think the intent was for a sill plate, but that is the literal interpretation.

ironmon and structuralaggie are correct according to the 2003 IBC. But ultimately, it depends on the code. Don't quote me, but the 2000 IBC allowed wood supporting masonry veneer if it weighed less than 40psf and some other criteria, but I believe the 1997 SBC didn't allow it.

I have the 2003 IRC (International Residential Code) in front of me and it allows masonry to be supported by wood.

Section 703.7.2. Exterior venneer support.

"Except in Seismic Design Categories D1 and D2, exterior masonry veneers having an installed weight of 40psf (195kg/m2) or less shall be permitted to be supported on wood or cold-formed steel construction. When masonry veneer supported by wood or cold-formed steel construction adjoins masonry veneer supported by the foundation, there shall be a movement joint between the veneer supported by the wood or cold-formed steel construction and the veneer supported by the foundation. The wood or cold-formed steel construction supporting the masonry veneer shall be designed to limit the deflection to l/600 of the span for the supporting members. The design of the wood or cold-formed steel construction shall consider the weight of the veneer and any other loads."

If the code allows it, use your judgment. We always used a steel angle between the wood and brick to act as a barrier in those situations. Along with suitable flashing.

Although it may not be relevant to your geographic location, the Masonry Design Code for Canada (CSA S304)states that for wood structures of four storeys or less, non-load-bearing masonry cladding may be supported by wood members. Regarding your situation, it's decorative and should therefore be permitted.

just because veneer is supported on wood all the time, doesn't mean it's the proper way to support the brick. I recommend using steel to support elevated veneers and when the veneer goes to the foundation, support the veneer on concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back