Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

brick veneer support at sides of dormers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryd

Structural
Jan 16, 2010
US
I have been searching through the BIA Technical Notes for a recommended detail for supporting brick veneer on the sides of a dormer...is there a preferred way? (see attached image)

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think a L6x3.5x1/4 LLV would be best to support the brick.
The longer vertical leg allows more than one lag bolt at each stud which may be necessary to support the load.

I generally don't specify bolts larger than 3/8" diameter in the 2" face of a 2x4.
Also pilot holes should be specified to prevent splitting the wood.

I like msquared's advice. Don't forget the vertical fins on the angle to keep the brick from sliding. You'll need to determine the size/spacing of these fins based on the allowed stear stress in the horizontal mortar joint.

The slope appears to be close to 45 degrees. When the mortar is wet, it has no shear strength. You probably need fins at every half brick joint.

BA

Chances are a good mason will have some experience with this. Consult with one on your details.
My suggestion would be to use one single "fin" at the bottom and then use a spacer of some sort in the mortar joints the rest of the way up the hill until you have a level row of brick. Similar to tiling a tub surround. The spacers will wind up buried in the mortar joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back