Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brick Veneer Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujinkim

Structural
Jul 5, 2007
US
Hello,

I submitted the calculation for the stud wall with brick veneer attached. The city of Palos Verdes engineer requested to consider and specify the weight of brick veneer. Is there anyone knowing the weight of brick veneer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I typically use 50 psf to allow for some variation in products and placement. I don't like having to do things twice.

And you may ask...Why is he in this business? I would answer "I don't know."

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

ASCE 7-05 Table C3-1 lists 4" clay brick wythes at 39 psf as a minimum design dead load, and "exterior stud walls with brick veneer" at 48 psf. I generally use 40 for the brick and add up the components of the stud wall system (using 48 as a minimum regardless).
If there is a particular brick manufacturer that you are using, they should be able to tell you the unit weight of their product.

I am a structural engineer and worked as a technical manager for a clay masonry manf. for 7-1/2 years. 40psf is typical (actually a bit on the conservative side) for "modular" size brick (3-1/2" total brick width). There are some brick sizes that come in 3" widths that would be reduce the psf by about 3 lbs.

If you really want to know the exact weights, email Interstate Brick in Utah ( and they can give you that info, in addition to structural clay masonry weights. Or if you want to call...801-280-5200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back