Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridge bearing Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnamme

Structural
Jul 20, 2004
US
In the NYSDOT Bridge manual and the AASHTO the largest load listed for standard sizes of bridge bearings only go up to about 1250 kN. Is their a place where I can find more bearings that use standard sizes that I can choose from or do I have to design each on a case by case basis? I am wondering if their is a way that I can get around designing each one?

At each pier location can I choose the maximum load and design for that one at each location along that pier line?

Also, If I use multirotation at the inside girders at a pier I must also use the same type of multirotational bearings at the outside bearings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This could be useful: www.fip-group.it. We used "standard" bearings up to 25000kN.
Usually, if there is no great difference (about less than 500kN), you can use the same load class at every pier line, not only along every single pier line; often it is cheaper to vary the allowable displacement class of your bearing along the bridge.
Anyway, abutment bearings are usually different (for continuous bridges).
I hope this can help.
Greetings

Ale

The Florida DOT has "standard" elastomeric pads details on their Structures website. Refer to Indices 500i and 501. Depending on the conditions, the max load is 465k (~2000kN).
Note what is acceptable to FDOT may not be acceptable to NYDOT. At least, you could use this as a staring point for your own evaluation.

Regards, RAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back