Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bridge collapse in India, during construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Accelerated Bridge Construction gone wrong. That segment on the ground doesn't look long enough to span between the supports, so I'm guessing it was a large, prefab section being advanced on rollers to the support in the ravine.

Someone assumed that the structure could support cantilever loads and didn't check the calculations?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Screenshot_2023-08-23_at_12-29-35_At_least_17_killed_as_under_construction_bridge_collapses_in_northeast_India_CNN_cgf3j4.png

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Screenshot_2023-08-23_at_16-08-33_Mizoram_Bridge_collapse_in_Sairang_village_claims_18_lives_leaves_three_injured_wla5i0.png

It looks as if a temporary connection failed.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Strange that 18 workers would be on or under the bridge during a critical procedure.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I suspect it is progressive construction - drag out a beam, bolt it on, drag out another. For the size of the beams the number on site seems appropriate. I suspect the unbalanced condition wasn't calculated.

Two spans built and pinned together so that one span balances the other as it is cantilevered and pushed out into position?
It looks as if the connection failed and a complete span dropped.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Tragic for those involved, but there are good reasons why that gorge has not been bridged before. The remoteness probably means that skilled labor and professional supervision is scarce. It is in that part of India which is to the East of Bangladesh, far from major Indian cities by land connections. They call this the Northeast Frontier Railway zone.

Reuters is now reporting that at least 26 workers died.

724853-20238img23aug2023pti08232023000182a_t050ju_n4frt2.jpg

It looks like there is a pin partly in place on the end of the top chord which pulled the section to lay on top.

3DDave (Aerospace) 24 Aug 23 00:38 said:
a pin partly in place

From an earlier photo, there is a pin on each side. It looks like whatever it held recoiled and landed atop the fallen structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back