Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bridge to Building Design Change for Newbie 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stTimeBridgeDesign

Structural
Aug 18, 2008
US
Hi, I graduated May 2008. I've been doing structural bridge design work for the past 9 months in New York City. I really want to move to building design. I hear it's a bit more fast paced, it's more closely related to what I learned in school, and it's what I eventually plan on doing in my career. I actually feel like I'm forgetting things I learned in school at a faster pace than I am learning things here.

I don't know anyone else who is in the design field so I'm looking for an opinion on what to do. My main problem is I haven't heard any responses from companies that I sent my resume to. Is it because I haven't been working long enough? What should I do differently?

I'm very unhappy working here and I feel like I'm wasting time in a job I know I will not be continuing for very long.

If I don't find a structural design opportunity, I might take a position at a CM company like Skanska or Turner. I really like design, and that would most likely cause me to give up the dream of designing buildings. Unfortunately, I also like being in the field, which so far I have not done at this job.

Any suggestions on what career path I should take from here?

Or what are good tips when looking for a career in structural design as an entry level engineer?

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you get an opportunity for the construction side with Skanska or Turner, take it. You'll get some valuable experience that you can then take to a design firm.

With the economy being what it is, you might want to stay put for just a while....as Mike said...it will pick up.

Good luck.

As Mike said - keep looking. The building design market in NYC is not very good and the bridge market is even worse. Skanska has a good backlog and they do have an engineering staff, but it's a construction engineering application.

Amen to sandman21. Been there, done that, don't like it. But you will learn how tailor documentation for a specific end result.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back