Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bright dipping extruded aluminum part

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowaguy

Industrial
Jul 10, 2003
US
I am bright dipping an extruded aluminum part ( size about 4 inches X 4 inches )

The reason for bright dipping is to get a high appearance shine.

MY QUESTION IS: Will the bright dip process provide a coating that will give me a rust prevention characteristic? How long will this last to outside elements? How much better will the bright dip process be compared to just a bare aluminum extrution in regards to rusting.

Thanking all in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't think so. Normally a bright dip process is an acid which creates a shine similiar to electropolishing stainless steel. It evens the surface roughness, which creates the polish finished. The way it accomplishes this task is attacking the aluminum surface.

Normally, this type of process is used as a pretreatment of the aluminum. It should be followed by a coating process, which could include primer and coating. A good process to consider is clear coat anodizing or hardcoat anodizing. Clear coat is just that. The aluminum maintains it's original color, unless its dyed. The hardcoat is a tough coating. Anodize is chemically known as aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide is hard Rc 60's. Great corrosion barrier. Used a lot in military application and cookwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back