Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bright dipping extruded aluminum part

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowaguy

Industrial
Jul 10, 2003
US
I am bright dipping an extruded aluminum part. ( size about 4 inches X 4 inches)

The reason for bright dipping is to get a high apperance shine.

MY QUESTION IS: Will the bright dip process provide a coating that will give me a rust prevention characteristic?

How long will this last to outside elements?

How much better will the bright dip process be compared to just a bare aluminum extrution in regards to rusting.

Thanking you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bright dipping will not give you a protective coating at all. The part will need to be clear anodized for protection after bright dipping (and rinsing, etc.) Regarding rusting - in aluminum we prefer the term oxidizing, the thickness of the anodic film will determine the life - up to 20 years with a Class 1 exterior film (700 mil or 0.0007 inch thick) However, there is a compromise between anodic film thickness and clarity of the film. Thin films have good brightness but short life. Thick films are the opposite. Any thickness of anodic film will be better than bare aluminum.

Iowaguy --You must be a Hawkeye?? A little sarcasm from South Dakota!

Aluminumphil --What about nickel plating(electrolytic or electroless)? Forget about wear, just consider environmental exposure consistent with industrial environments. How well will it protect the material? Comparing both e-less and e-nickel to anodizing. Lifespan??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back