Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brilles rivets allowables

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyyuiop

Jun 17, 2003
ES
Hi,

I'm searching for brilles rivets strength allowables. Does anyone know where can I find such information?

Thanks in advanve.

Neil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This sort of data is difficult to come by, since rivets should only be loaded in shear. All tensile loads should be secondary.

Having said that, the convention used by several companies is to use 2/3 of the joint shear allowable for protruding head rivets, and 1/2 the joint shear allowable for countersunk rivets.

I have at least one referenceable source that gives that guideline.

Hope that helps.

SuperStress

Sorry qwertyyuiop, I concure with SuperStress on that one. If you need to rely on tension capability, switch to a Hi-Lok or bolt.

SuperStress, can you post that reference please.

Regards,

jetmaker

The reference I have is from the E-Systems Structures Manual, Table 6-15, page 6.23.

That table references Report D5000, "Design Manual", The Boeing Company, dated 1968.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the 1968 Boeing Design Manual to corroborate, but the ESSM is a solid source.

The modern BDM has some rivet-in-tension joint allowables in BDM-4301 Figure 2.8.

Try to find someone who has a copy, there are many of them floating around.

SuperStress

Hi,

Another reference with the same rivet tension guideline is

"Practical Stress Analysis for Design Engineers: Design and Analysis of Aerospace Vehicle Structures" by Jean-Claude Flabel

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back