Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

brine at 23%

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarocque

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2003
CA
What is the best way to store brine ( salt water at 23%)? Can it be stored into steel tanks. I need a total capacity of 100,000 gallons

JL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is NaCl at 20-23% concentration at ambiant temperatures. If tanks are outside then lowest temps desing in Canada Atlantic applies

JL

This is usually done with lined carbon steel tanks. If you are going to let them get very cold it will limit the coatings as some will become brittle.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

I agree that carbon steel is a good choice, especially if the brine is inhibited as it should be and if the temperature does not get too high. We have also had good luck with installation of sacrificial anodes in the carbon steel tank.

A better lining. I am thinking a multi layer resin system. This is going to take some skill in surface prep and getting the cure correct.
I would install CP also to protect against the inevitable minor holidays in the coating.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

If the carbon steel tank is in service you have a couple of considerations if your looking for long service life at that both hot and cold temps.

Need to know more about the temperature swings and normal operating temp but Derakane 8084 formulated in a glass flake coating will offer a very durable lining. At 60 mils thick if will fill the profile and should not have any pinholes or holidays. The temp limit is 80C so a blend of 25% Derakane 441 would increase your HDT to an acceptable range.

Sandblast profile is key....need 3-4 mils. Can get that with med. black grit and at least 100 psi at the nozzle.

I don't do this work anymore but I can help you write a specification that will provide 20 yrs of service +-.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back