Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broad Crested Weir Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatiLynSki

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2005
US
I have an existing dam outlet that in plan is two broadcrested weirs that are 90 degrees to one another. The longer broadcrested weir (~14') is located perpindicular to the flow and the shorter broadcrested weir (~10') is located parallel to the flow.

I know the design flows over the spillway. I am trying to calculate the water height during a 100-year storm.

Is there a procedure that should be used to account for the interference due to the layout? Should I just use the sum of the two weirs as the weir length? A fraction of the sum?

Any insight or documentation of a similar case would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand the configuration, one is perpendicular to flow and one parallel to flow, correct?. For that configuration I would consult Chow, Open Channel Hydraulics for side weir flow leaving while using the perpendicular weir as control. Hopefully, I understand the layout.

you will need to adjust your side flow weir to account for momentum losses. The flow has to turn 90 deg and flow towards the weir crest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back