Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Broken Swan Neck on Old Soiltest Direct Shear Apparatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefabulousnip

Civil/Environmental
Jul 14, 2006
US
I have an old Soiltest direct shear apparatus, and the swan neck is broken on it. I'm really in need of this instrument and purchasing a new is out of the question due to budgetary reasons. I contacted Soiltest and they don't carry any parts for anything that old. My question is: is such a part available anywhere, or if not, what is my best route as to a repair? I thought that it may be possible to get a machinist to make the part, but I'd like to get some other opinions first. Here's a picture of the broken part
partrequired1ds8.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looking at the fractured surface I dont believe that metal would be easily repaired by welding. You may consider shaping two pieces of steel stock to fit snugly either side of the webbing, and using JBweld to glue them in place and the fractured surface back together. JBweld is incredibly strong, and the steel stock should transfer the shear forces if properly fitted.

I suggest going to a forum for welders. They should be the real experts. However, try the JB Weld and if it breaks, nothing lost.

If this is aluminum, some aluminum welds easily with TIG procedures. Others don't. I had a thing like this fixed with TIG. Works great now.

If cast iron, that welds up pretty good with brazing.

Each of these needs "veeing" out the break to allow new metal to fill the gap.

But only use a very experienced welding shop.

If it was me and no welding works, I'd make a new yoke, since this is bolted to the shear ring. Any decent machanic ought to be able to do it in a few hours using steel.

I had this exact problemm a few years ago and had one cast in Phoenix, near where I lived at the time. The cost was about 250.00. I also had them cast a new "box" to place the sample in. I had to grind the "flash" off the new piece, but it worked like new and the cost was minimal next to buying a new apparatus.

I've had decent success with this type of repair by using stainless steel pins and JB Weld. It looks like the break is in a good location for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back