Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

broken view 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonzaS

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2010
CZ
Hi, could you help me, how to create Broken view?

When I make a boundary, everything disappears except the area into this boundary. It could be reverse.

There is a 5th button, which propably solves the problem, but it still keeps gray.

I use NX 7.5
Thanks for your advices.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found it a little difficult to do a broken view the first time i attempted it.

Start with a full view on your sheet.
Select broken view command.
Click on existing view on your sheet.
Make sure point on curve selection option is on.
Select top edge of part where you want break.
Select bottom edge of part-this will draw a simple break curve across your part.
Continue with straight construction lines to enclose the left hand end of your part in a closed box. The last construction line should snap to the start of your simple break curve.
Once that is done the apply button become available.
Press apply DO NOT hit OK. Your half done.
Repeat at right end.
Now hit OK

This is very simple example and as you can expect NX has many options where you would deviate from these directions slightly. This should get you started.

By the way to edit the broken view select the brokern view icon that you used to create it and select the broken view.

I am using 7.5.2.5 NATIVE on Dell with windows XP OS

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=93cb85fc-8627-48bc-896e-b6695b44777b&file=brokenview.jpg
I really hate to do this, but...

The attached video shows the procedure for creating a 'Broken View' using the next release of NX (notice how many extra steps it took to create the projection of the Broken View).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

What you do is go back to...

Insert -> View -> Broken...

...and select the existing 'broken' view. You will see that the last item in the string of functions is an 'X' (for delete). Select it and the 'Apply' button will become active. Now hit 'Apply', once for each segment in the Broken View until they are all removed. Now hit 'Cancel' and you should be good to go.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Wow! It's about time NX made that feature easier. I hope you all are doing the same thing for breakout views.

Norfolk Southern Railway
Charlotte Roadway Shop

Hi!

Can anyone help me how to create projected view of broken view.I have cylinder which is to big, so i need to Break it(with BROKEN VIEW on 3 places) but when i want to project that view I get it whole in that view and i need that new view have break out places on same places as up part.thx

and second..

why I can't make section view from "broken view"

thank you very much,

That capability, creating a projected view from a broken view and getting a broken view, or creating a section and getting a broken section view, is not currently supported, however it will be supported in the next release of NX, which will be available soon.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

As John stated, it can't be done simply in NX7.5 or lower.
You need to create a new projected view and then break that to have a broken projected view of an existing broken view.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.4.4, Beta NX8.0.0.23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back