Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broms Method 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thawkes

Structural
Jul 16, 2010
US
I would like to create a spreadsheet to determine the lateral capacity of a single embedded pile using the Broms method. This method involves several charts. You lookup one unitless parameter on the X-axis to determine another unitless parameter on the Y-axis. I've made an attempt to back-calculate the equations of the lines on these charts, but haven't succeeded. Does anyone have any information that will help me find these equations? I've attached a couple of pages from a PDF including two of the charts I'm having trouble with.

Thanks in advance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9037f60e-d41f-4a63-8f5a-302727fe53db&file=Broms_Method_from_Reese_Book.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try this: [link file:///C:/Users/multimedia/Downloads/Broms_Method_from_Reese_Book%20(1).pdf]Link[/url]

The Florida Department of Transportation also has an excellent, freely available MathCAD sheet on drilled shafts that I've used for this: Link. If you have the ability to view it, it might jump start your efforts to parse out the underlying equations.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

What a fantastic document cruezer. Thank you so much for posting it!

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back