Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bruhn Errata 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyJohnson

Aerospace
Mar 30, 2007
US
Link thread2-151004

I’m hoping to publish Bruhn Errata next year with eighty or ninety examples of errors, omissions, boo boos or suggested changes.

Examples:

Page A7.11 Truss with Pinned Joints

Check the last two columns in Table A7.3 for a slide rule error.

I calculate d1 = 0.027 inch and d2 = -0.006 inch If I’m right it’s only off by an order of magnitude.

Page C1.5 Tri-Axial or Three Dimensional Stresses

Article C1.10: Check to see if it is missing a txy^2 term. Thanks to Chris.

Page C1.9 Octahedral Shear Stress Theory

Top equation in right column ... portion in last parentheses should square each term within and not without.

I have not seen SparWeb’s B, C or E before. If I may include them and your real name or handle in the book there’s probably a coffee mug or free book in it for you.

i assume (yes, i know i shouldn't) that you've already got McCombs's booklet

Alright, rb19547, I'll admit to ignorance. What is McCombs's booklet and how does one get one?

William F McCombs (wrote a bunch of structures reports for NASA, and NACA in his day) assembled "A Supplement to Analysis of Flight Vehicle Structures", and has other booklets that may be of interest.

he works out of Dallas ...
214 337 5506

the price is only a few bucks (<$30, inc. postage); he preferrs money orders to cheques (pretty old school) !

i've found it to be a very usefull addition to Bruhn, whom he obviously knew and worked with.

Titles include ... "A Supplement to Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures" and "Engineering Column Analysis - The Analysis of Compression Members".

You may find his booklets used on Abebooks.

Unfortunately Bill passed away last October ... by all accounts he was a super human being and will be greatly missed.

Best of luck.

Hi Rusty Johnson
I corresponded with Bill over a period of more than 15 years and was aware that he was looking for someone to take over his work. I know he wanted to have the distribution of his booklets continued after his passing and I think he had more information that he wanted to have published. Do you perhaps know who he passed "The Torch" to?
In fact anyone on this forum who can help in this matter would be doing us all a favour.
Thanks.
Ed.

Ed,

He is survived by a daughter, Susan McCombs Creamer.

Part of the Dallas Morning News obit published Oct. 15th, 2006:

"... born in Little Rock, AR on December 22, 1923 and died on October 8, 2006 ... he began studies for an aeronautical engineering degree at Princeton University in 1941.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1942 and was sent to Rensselaer Polytech to complete his studies, where he was elected to Tau Beta Pi. Upon completion he accepted his aeronautical engineering degree, Magna Cum Laude, from Princeton University.

hi rusty,

it sounds like you know McCombs very well. Are you going to be carrying with his work ?

I went to Abebooks and couldn't see anything of relevence.

rb,

I've only spoken to him by phone and ordered books but have worked with people that knew him at Vought or took a class from him. Have only heard kind words spoken of him ... nobody can say that about me ... and I'm a harmless, lovable puffball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back