Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BS 1515

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymist2003

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2003
ZA
Hi all,

I need some assistance please. I am doing some mods to a BS 1515 Part 1,1965 designed vessel. I need to know the method used for nozzle reinforcement in BS 1515. PD 5500 has two methods, clause 3.5.4 and also Annex F (area reinforcement rules). If BS 1515 uses arear replacement rules then I can safely apply Appendix F.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AS I recall BS1515 used the area replacement method but it may not be exactly the same as PD5500. If you are adding a nozzle perhaps its the same size as an existing one, in which case you can make it the same. If not then you should try and dig out an old copy just to make sure.

If I recall correctly, it was the 1997 version of BS5500 in which Appendix F was changed to reflect the (at that time) forthcoming harmonised European PV code subsequently issued as EN 13445.

The current Annex F is not an Area Replacement technique, it is a Pressure Area technique.

Therefore, if you want to use the same technique employed by BS1515 but cannot get your hands on a copy, you should use ASME VIII UG-37. It's an identical methodology - true area replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back