Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSEE Versus BSEET Degree 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvamos

Electrical
Jul 24, 2002
US
I am wondering how many companies differentiate between a BSEE degree and a BSEET degree. My present employer does not allow individuals with a BSEET degree to hold an engineering job unless they have a PE. Even if the BSEET is from a ABET accredited program. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Last company I worked for didn't have any policy of what an engineer is, they even called service techs without any college engineers.

I agree with your company's policy, to me a BSEET is not the same as a BSEE and should be classified as an engineering technician and not an engineer. The acredidation is not important, ABET acredits both kinds of programs.

Does your company take in to account the Fundamentals Exam? For example in this state if your graduate from an ABET accredited program you are eligible for the F.E. and eventually the P.E. whether or not your degree is in Engineering or Engineering Technology.

mbensema would you still draw the distinction between an Engineering degree and Engineering Technology degree for someone who had taken and passed the F.E.? If so why?

However, for those of us outside the PE world, yes we do pay some attention to the quality of degree in a graduate (I don't think it much matters after a few years).

I'm not saying we'd reject a Technologist degree automatically, but they'd be less likely to get an interview in the first place.

Cheers

Greg Locock

cephus,
My company will not allow an individual to hold an engineering position unless they have a BSEE or a BSEET with PE registration. Even if you succesfully pass the FE and are considered by the state an Engineer In Training (EIT) my company will not allow a BSEET to hold an engineer position. The state does not differentiate between the two degrees when it come to years of experience in making an individual eligible to take the PE test. They do mention that it has to be ABET accredited program.

I would not consider a BSEET with the FE on the same level as a BSEE with or without the FE. I consider the BSEET a light version of the BSEE degree and not equivalent until experience has proven otherwise, such as gaining the experience to sit for the PE and passing it.

My opinion is all based on a design type position, I would not hold anything against a BSEET for a project or field engineer position.

In Canada, our EETs can become certified technologists with a minimum of two years of post-secondary education and two years of relevant working experience. Various colleges in Canada also offer bachelor degrees in applied technology, and these degrees are generally not considered equivalent to engineering degrees.

There are also universities that provide transfer programs which allow technology graduates to obtain a CEAB accredited engineering degree with 2+ more years of further study. Lakehead University in Ontario and the University of Victoria come to mind.

ElectroEng

When I started my college career, I started in a BSEET degree. After understanding that I was not going to have a full fledged engineering degree, I transferred to a state funded engineering school. Out of the 32 credits I had, 12 transferred (no electrical credits transferred). So keep this in mind as you consider what to do. If you choose a BSEET degree then pick a school that has A BSEE as well (if they exist) or see if the BSEE program will accept any credits from the BSEET program in case, in the future, you want to get a BSEE.
As far as hiring one over the other, I would hire a BSEE over BSEET for an engineering position. However, this would be totally dependant on the position. I think many employers do not really know what the differences are and you may be passed up just because they don't know.

I think the main difference between the two degrees is that the ABET-EAC engineering degree emphasizes synthesis (design) of components, processes, systems, products, and experiments, whereas the ABET-TAC engineering technologist degree emphasizes analysis and construction of components, etc., and conduction of experiments.

Synthesis is a higher-order skill than analysis according to a breakdown of the cognitive domain by Bloom, et al. For design positions, I too would prefer an employee to have a BSEE over a BSEET, though, as many have said above, the experience of the candidate may offset the degree status.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

In my company, if you are hired for the first time the degree type would matter. For an engineering position, a Bachelor in Engineering would be mandatory. But, if you came in as tech with your BSEET and work as a tech for a few years and some how started to design the equipment that you are using or building, you may be promoted to Engineering I. To go higher than that, you would need a Bachelors in Engineering.

It would also depend on the engineering position. If the position really calls for a hands on, nuts and bolts kind of person, I would think a BSEET would fit the bill. If the position calls for a lot of analysis and test, then a BSEE would be better suited.

As for the PE license, here in Massachusetts you just need a Bachelors degree and 4 years of experience, but it is not as simple as that. You have to convince the board that you are a competent engineer in the field that you are trying to achieve, which is a task in it self. Also FYI, you don’t really need a degree in Massachusetts to take the PE, just twenty years of experience.

Go Mechanical Engineering
Tobalcane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back