Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSEE vs. BS Electronic Tech. Degree 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nae

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2000
US
My fiancee is considering the two programs at one of the nearby universities. He already has an associate degree in electronic technology. He loves hands-on work and is very concerned if he gets an Electrical/Electronics engineering degree he will only be allowed to sit at a desk and do electronic circuitry design work.

He has been out of school and working for two years as quality engineer in the printed circuit board division of a local company. He is definitely interested in electronics as even his hobbies involve working with them.

Would you have any advice or experiences to share with him as to which Bachelor of Science degree to choose and why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BSEE is a good choice to pursue or BS in Computer Engineering (BSCE) (tends to be better paid).
Both above degrees do not guarantee any desk work or laboratory bench work. They are a prerequisite for the above types of work. Some field engineer or laboratory engineer positions require BSEE or BSCE or higher degrees.

The work your boyfriend will do depends on the position he gets, the company he works for, the specialty courses he takes within the field of EE, etc. As a former electronics technician-turned-engineer, I have worked in multiple positions, some that were extensively hands-on, some that were extensively desk work. As far as specialties within EE go, there are many. One university page that I visited listed the following:
Circuits
Communications
Controls & Robotics
Electromagnetics
Energy Systems
Signal & Image Processing
VLSI & Digital Systems
He can certainly ask when he interviews for jobs whether they require hands-on or desk work, and make a decision from there. I work in the field of controls, and that requires a great deal of both field and desk work.
As far as BSEE vs. BSEET goes, I believe the BSEE creates more options for your boyfriend, such as higher salaries, easier to go on for more schooling toward MS, etc. The coursework is more design oriented. Please look back a few pages on this thread to see my reply under "Is DeVry a good college..."
Best of luck to you and your boyfriend.

A mentor of mine once commented "If you always want a job, stick to analog and power supply EE." Personally, going the digital route is what most people do. I find analog electronics is challenging and it has opened many doors to career advancement. I started as a development engineer; then played applications; and now in market development.

(This is a personal opinion and other views WILL differ and conflict.)

Thus if your boyfriend persues the BSEE route, suggest he stick to the old analog stuff. [sig][/sig]

An A.B.E.T. acredited BSEE allows one to take the P.E.(Professional Engineer) Exam. Most States may not qualify a BSEET Degree to take the exam. Check with your State Registration Board for their requirements.
For more information try NSPE.com ( National Society of Professional Engineeers).
Good Luck

I was in the same boat your boyfriend is know some years ago. I got out of the service and got a 2 YEAR degree in Industrial El;ectronics. After working for a year I decided to go back and get a BSEE from the University nearby. They would not except any of the work fromn the technical college. I looked into getting a 4 year BS degree engineering technology degree and they said they would accept my previuos 2 years of work. But I considered what I would be really getting if I went the easy route. First no one is gonna hire you as an engineer with out an engineering degree. The technology route is a glorified technician degree and will not be honored by most companies. Most companies require an ABET acredited degree before you can be hired in as an engineer. I belive he will find work no mater whichb route he takes but there will be a sizeable difference in compensation. As far as hands on he can get the real degree and still work , hands on. Tell him to talk to some Rand d companies and other companies that Systems Integration and Test. There are many jobs out there get the right degree, something you enjoy and find the right job for you
Spock out

If he likes getting his hands dirty, and on-site when the system is being installed, commissioned, etc.... the BSEE will likely give him more on his resume to achieve that. That's what I did, and it makes it easier to get your foot in the door at an engineering consultant/contractor, a major process facility, or a manufacturer's service group. He will see a lot of field work and desk work with any of these types of companies.

But, to be honest, he could take either a BSEE or BSCE and he would still have the tools neccesary to do these jobs. The fact is, his options are already very broad simply because he is getting his degree. One of my mentor's favorite sayings to me was "Diversify, Diversify, Diversify!"

Without a doubt as mentioned above the BSEE will give more recognition (PE board, MSEE programs, employers).

Which is better? When I first graduated with BSEE I was dismayed at the lack of practical introduction to real-world instruments and technology that my education has provided. Others in BSET had better introduction in this respect. Years later, I have picked up the hands-on stuff on the job, and I now start to appreciate the ability to reach into my bag of tricks and apply math and analysis techniques when needed.

I began in college going for a BSEE. I took the core electrical courses, learned the fundamentals behind all the deisgning and transfered to a different school and ended up with a BSET. I am currently working for an engineering firm doing electrical design work for internet data centers. In my opinion, the BSET gives you a hands-on look at the modern technologies....(internet, fiber optics, networking...) This has helped me to get my job. I have been able to work with Worldcom, the recently killed PSINet, and now a true engineering firm. In my case a combination of both has helped me reach my goal. Yes I am able to take the EIT and PE exams, I am currently studying for the EIT now. Perhaps, I was able to reap the benefits of both worlds, who knows. But as far as I can see, both degrees will get you a fantastic job down the road. The basic difference that I have seen is....knowing the reasons why electricity does what it does and the knowledge to design new technologies(EE) and knowing how to fix the new technologies and having a basic understanding of how things work (ET).

I recommend that your fiancee obtain a BSEE degree. There are many individuals with a BSEET that are excellent Engineers, but this degree is just not recognized by all companies as that of a true Electrical Engineer. The pay for many BSEET Engineers may not be equal to one with a BSEE degree. Some companies equate the BSEET to that of a Technican, right or wrong, that is the way it is , especially with large corporations.

Regarding "hands on work", an Engineers' job is to create the design and manage the development of the project. In a small company, an Engineer will probably be both the Designer and the Technican. In a large company, the Engineer will direct a Technican to build and test the design creation. So, in this case much of what the Engineer does is paper related. There is alot of technical documentation (paper work) required to put a design into production or implement it into a system for use inside the company.
Most of this paper work requires that the engineer do it , since he/she is most knowledgeable with the design. NOTE: I have solved this problem, for the past 35 years, with wanting to do "hands on work" by incorporating it into one of my hobbies.

Best of luck in the future to you and your fiancee.

Too Mr. Spock,
I think you should look at the following site: Your statement about being a glorified tech. is way off base. I have graduated from an ABET accredited program from one of the Big Ten with a BSEET. Explain this to me then. Why are a BSEE and a BSEET both equally qualified to sit for the PE? If you read the requirements on the NCEES web site you will see what I am talking about. Thoughts.

I have a BSET degree not a BSEE. I have never regretted it. I too am a hands on guy, and to this day still am totally hands on in my work. You can go anywhere with this degree. I am a Vice President of Engineering now at age 50, so you can get to a higher level in the future with this degree if you care to do so. Even in this position, I still do pleanty of hands on work, including electronic design as well as mechanical, production and operations. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back