Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSP adapter into BSPT hole 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tendim

Computer
Mar 9, 2005
Hello listers.

Sorry for the basic question, but glancing through the archives people here seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

I'm trying to find an adapter to hook up an oil line to my engine. The plug currently plugged into the engine has a 1/8 BSPT thread. The adapter I've found is a run tee that has a male 1/8 BSP on one end, and two female 1/8 BSP on the other sides. Is there any danger in plugging the 1/8 BSP male into the engine's 1/8 BSPT hole, and plugging the 1/8 BSPT adapters into the 1/8 BSP female holes? The representative I found at a local store told me that using this adapter should work fine for my needs.

Tks,
10d

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will work fine.

Just make sure you use some sealing compound like Loctite 515, or thread seal tape, UNLESS it is into an aluminium casting. NEVER use thread seal tape on a tapered thread going into an aluminium casting, as they screw in so easily, that you can very easily crack the casting with the taper.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Hey patprimmer.

Thanks, that's the answer i was looking for. The t-fitting is brass and the male end of the t-fitting is going into an iron block. Will i have any issues with heat if i use lock-tite or something similar?

tks,
10d

The Loctite and /or PTFE thread seal tape will withstand more heat than will the oil in the pipe.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

Sure, it would probably work to some degree, but remember it will only be holding by 1-2 full threads, and the "goo" is really only a stop gap, - I think that with a tiny little bit of effort you could find a suitable 1/8 BSPT male (for peace of mind), they're not that scarce! it's a pretty popular size.

Sure, it would probably work to some degree
It does work if you take a bit of care. I don't suppose that I know that because I have done it a number of times. It has never caused me a problem.

You can run into problems if one is BSP and the other is NTP.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

Well, I guess I shouldn't knock it if I haven't tried it!
- maybe I'm getting too old and not up with the play on the latest methods anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back